Friday, March 28, 2014

Top Hats


Sometimes as a switchboard operator people like to tell you their life stories. Most of the time it is related to which department they want and you already have their diagnosis but they keep talking for five minutes about what they need when you already know what they need. It gets quite annoying. But occasionally there will be some real gems.

It was the morning shift from 7:30 to 8 so I worked by myself and there aren't many calls. I got a call from the sweetest old man. His first sentence to me was "That's so sweet of you to be up there working this early." He then asked his question to which I answered. He then asked what high school I went to and I told him I was from Idaho. He then asked me if I could remember the first line of my high school song... I don't think that I really remember it much. But he said that he's gotten some great stories from asking people that question.


His sweet voice kept going as he spoke about how he graduated high school and his family bought a cow and milked it so they could have extra money. He came to Utah State so I asked him what he graduated in (there wasn't any other callers so I didn't feel bad having a conversation). He said he didn't because of something that happened with housing and he moved into a castle like house where there were five boys. One girl named Mary was there too to take care of the cooking and the cleaning. He met her on the 2nd of May. He said she was paid too much; 5 dollars a week. He asked her to marry him and they did on the 4th of September. He's been without her for three years and he said "although I may be single I'm never alone." Then he talked about putting a smile on my face and that's all he needed. So when I told him he had succeeded he proceeded to tell me that's what he strives for and he wears a top hat everywhere he goes.

I learned from that sweet old man that the elderly sometimes just need someone to share their stories with. Also that everyone should strive to put a smile on others' faces. Even if it means wearing a top hat everywhere you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment